Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Orange County Center Gala Dinner

Last Saturday I attended the Gala Dinner for Orange County's GLBT Center. It was held at the Hyatt in Irvine, CA. It was super and the food was good. I haven't attended one of the dinners since the 80s! There were about 400 or 500 people there. It was a chance for me to get all dressed up as a man and I looked pretty sharp too!

The highlight of the evening was talking to Cybill Shepard! Her daughter has finally come out as lesbian and Cybill was so proud to announce it. I remember the reckless rumors about Cybill back in the 70s and 80s. She was one wild chick, doing everyone around. Men mainly or she said in her book. But, she's as beautiful as ever and I was pleased to talk to her.

Because of this dinner and my T-man support group, I've decided to get more involved with our community again. I was very involved in the 80s when everyone was trying to cope with the devastating effects of AIDS. I even marched on Sacramento to protest the lack of funding.

Now, transgender people need recognition and acceptance so here I am. The facilitator of my T-man group has asked me to be a presenter at PFLAG and sit on the ECCO board and I accepted. I have no idea where these two organizations will take me but it'll be fun, I think!

Got to go to work!
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment